We don’t often use the term ‘Superfood’, but Spirulina can easily be referred as one. Spirulina is not technically a ‘herb’, it is just a cyanobacteria. This ‘superfood’ has gained widespread popularity among health freaks because of its health benefits. Loaded with chlorophyll, Spirulina gets its power from the sun.
What is Spirulina?
It is nothing but an algae, that is loaded with proteins and nutrients. It is grown in various parts of the world and is used as a dietary supplement or a whole food. Usually available in a tablet or powder form, Spirulina is also used as a feed in aquarium and poultry industry. It is one of the most potent source of nutrients available in the market. Due to its high iron content, vegetarians must include spirulina in their diet. Spirulina is known to boost the immune system of the human body. Also, it is recommended during pregnancy because of its high iron and protein content.
Health benefits of Spirulina
- Boosts immune system– Spirulina helps in cell regeneration. It heals the wounds quickly and is known to be a ‘superfood’ as it offes benefits to every organ of the body. Regular consumption of Spirulina will eleiminate the possibility of occasional flu, cold, and other frequent illness. Also, Spirulina helps in the recovery from illness. It is recognized for its ability to strengthen the immune system of the human body.
- Promotes eye health- If you’re looking for a supplement that can boost the performance of your eyes, go for Spirulina.This super food is naturally rich in Vitamin A, which is an important component to improve eye health. Carrots have been traditionally known to improve the health of eyes, due to their vitamin A content. But, Spirulina has 10X Vitamin A than carrots.
- Anti Inflammatory properties- Spirulina is rich in Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), which known as the most effective anti inflammatory agent in the world. Also, GLA is beneficial to women during pregnancy. It has 26X more calcium than milk!
- Strengthens the digestive system- Spirulina enables smooth absorption of nutrients present in our food. It is known to simplify the process of waste excretion, thus enabling smooth bowel movements. It also emanates healthy bacteria in the stomach and thus enhances the digestive system.
- Natural Body detox- Chlorophyll is the most powerful detox agent in the world. Being a blue green algae, Spirulina is naturally rich in chlorophyll. It is known to remove toxins from the blood. So, use it as an agent if you wish detox your body.
- Other health benefits- Spirulina reduces the risk of constipation. It is rich in iron and should, thus, be consumed by anemic people and pregnant woman. It is a great source of other nutrients such as thiamine, riboflavin, nicotinamide, pyridoxine, folic acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Vitamin E. Also, Spirulina is rich in magnesium, potassium, chromium, selenium, sodium, and zinc. Spirulina has four 4X anti-oxidants than blueberries. It is an amazing source of protein (more protein than soy, beef, chicken!)
How to use Spirulina?
It should be noted that it is important for you to consult your doctor before starting any supplement. If you are already on a medication, then a supplement may interfere with the ingredients of those medicines. And to warn you, Spirulin tastes really bad! The best way to consume spirulina is to add it in your daily smoothie or juice. A normal healthy person can consume 1-2 table spoon spirulina every day. It tastes really good with a smoothie containing apple, banana or mangoes. Once the doctor approves, you can easily add spirulina in your daily smoothie. This will keep you in peak health and happiness. It is the best source of protein for vegetarians. Spirulina has more protein than red meat! Compared to beef, which is 21% protein, spirulina is about 60% protein. Many studies have showed that spirulina has no side effects on a normal healthy person. Many people who take spirulina daily say that they haven’t even suffered from a minor cold or flu since 5 years. 2 table spoon of spirulina can substitute the protein need provided by one meal. In many studies, it has been proved that patients who took spirulina showed massive health improvements. So, consult your doctor once and seriously start consuming spirulina on a regular basis.
Is it available in India?
Yes! absolutely. If you don’t find it near your house, you can easily order it online. Many websites such as snapdeal.com and healthkart.com provide spirulina. Many people have used the product and have witnessed tremendous changes in their levels of energy. You can easily order spirulina, either in powder or in capsule forms. It’ll keep you in peak health and immunity. Cheers!