“The best way to overcome undesirable or negative thoughts and feelings is to cultivate the positive ones.” ~ William Atkinson
Don’t be drenched with the negatives of your past, today is a new day , a fresh day , a new page or whatever you may say, but please yourself a favour, stop living in that past! If you understand the power of now, you could make a great deal for yourself. The past is not where you belong because it has nothing new to say, it conveys the same old vibes – either negative or positive, yes if it is positive then take it as your inspiration to move forward, yet if its negative then learn from it and let it be in that corner.
Mindful living will help you build new castles and yes! Burry that negative in the sea bed of Atlantic Ocean, cause today is your day, and your life.
“Mindfulness is about love and loving life. When you cultivate this love, it gives you clarity and compassion for life, and your actions happen in accordance with that.” ~ Jon Kabat-Zinn.
That routine life where you get up every day, just to go back to the memories of the past will not help you go anywhere, it’s time to make new memories, it’s time for you to make reform in your life and live a life of a free bird.
I’ll help you figure out the ways you could live mindfully:
1. The present is where you need to live: as I told you the past has nothing new to convey, it’s time to see what the present has to offer you, there must be a lot of things going on in your mind ( will I get good marks?, does he like me?, what does she think about me?, how am I going to finish these project?.) To live in the present you first need to stop criticizing, over thinking and over re-creating situations in your head! Just sit down and take a deep breath notice the things that are happening now without judging or criticizing them.
A great way to start living in the present is when you find yourself going back to the uncanny past; get your attention to your breathing with a few deep breaths.
“Stop thinking of what you intend to do. Stop thinking of what you have just done. Then, stop thinking that you have stopped thinking of those things. Then you will find the Now, the time that stretches eternal, and is really the only time there is.” – Robin Hobb
2. Be mindful in your daily activities: from your daily chores like drying clothes, eating etc be mindful of every bit. Bring that awareness to everyday activities like watering the garden, washing dishes, daily walk, cutting vegetables or even looking at the sky or watching the clouds.
3. Plan: prioritize and make a schedule for everything, finish of all the important tasks first and then you could go with the easy, if you jumble up things. It brings you frustration. A mindful person always prioritizes his/her things.
4. Stop. Feel. Breathe:
4. Stop. Feel. Breathe:after the entire days work, you pile up tensions, worries, troubles in your head, learn to let go of them. Just stop doing whatever you are doing, sit down and feel the air and weather around you, take a deep breath or two and calm yourself. Breathing will re-energize you and will bring back your focus.
5. Spend time alone: “The true life is not reducible to words spoken or written, not by anyone, ever. The true life takes place when we’re alone, thinking feeling, lost in memory, dreamingly self-aware, the sub microscopic moments.”- Don De Lillo, Point Omega.
6. Help yourself by helping others: if you want to feel the real essence of happiness; help others. See the joy you feel in your after you help a blind man cross the street or feeding that old hungry street dog or buying chocolates for kids playing on the street.
“Be not inhospitable to strangers lest they be angels in disguise.” – Walls of Shakespeare and Company Bookshop
7. Finding pleasures in small things: be observant of the little things, the small things in life matter most; the smell of rain, the smell of old book’s, a sincere compliment from a stranger, feeling a just born babies hand, a hug from your mother, talking to an old friend after ages are few examples which brings true happiness and love.
8. Don’t let negative thoughts control you: Positive emotions or behaviour helps you broaden your thinking and imagination so don’t let the negatives in life weigh you down, for a matter of fact take charge of your life cause it’s you who has to be happy in the end, not.
“If you want to awaken all of humanity, then awaken all of yourself, if you want to eliminate the suffering in the world, then eliminate all that is negative in yourself. Truly, the greatest gift you have to give is that of your own self-transformation.” –Lao Tzu